Saturday, August 6, 2011

SeventyEight-Punching a Hole in the Sky

This morning I heard a fascinating story on NPR's Weekend Edition about someone I never heard of before. He was a test pilot named Arthur "Kit" Murray and he died last week at the age of 92. I won't go into his whole story as I've provided the link here (and I highly recommend it) but one of the phrases used to describe what he did flying nearly into "outer space" was a beautiful one I also never heard before. Arthur "Kit" Murray punched holes in the sky. In my last (?) photographic tribute to childhood joy I give you two photographs of my favorite subject inspired by that phrase.


4 comments:

  1. Great image Cathryn! You really catch a part of childhood. And congrats on making it to 78!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really neat story and images! (But also the reason you must slather your niece with sunscreen! :D )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great captures, Cathryn. The timing, the composition, all great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for the comments!

    ReplyDelete